Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:27:11 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS inresponsive.

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 01:20:16PM -0500, James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Same here, same setup. ZFS, GELI, USB.
>=20
> It is not a good idea to use USB disks with ZFS.  It can cause pool loss.
>=20
> Many (most?) USB enclosures use USB<->SATA chips that discard the
> SYNC/FLUSH command to the disk.  As a result this opens a window of time
> where disk writes might be reordered in a way that cause the ZFS
> structures to become corrupted.  There's no problem in normal operation
> but there may be a failure if there is a power loss.
>=20
> The log entries in Fabian's note look like a USB SYNC/FLASH failure to
> me - that USB enclosure should not be used with ZFS.
>=20
> At one time there was talk of "deferred reallocation" in ZFS which would
> deal with broken USB enclosures but I don't know if Sun ever got around
> to this.

Yes, it is implemented in new ZFS. Blocks are not reused for next three
transaction groups and one can import a pool by falling back to the last
working transaction group if the most recent one is corrupted.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS

--9Iq5ULCa7nGtWwZS--