Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 14:36:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ****HELP*****

% Jordan; how hard would it be to generate a file with the md5's of a stock
% release system's "standard binaries" for this sort of thing?

} Tripwire has been made for that purpose... You can generate a database with
} all the signatures very easily.

> I think there is a lot of value in a standard database burned into the
> FreeBSD CD-ROM.

Since the new distributions come with the second "live" CD, it would be
trivial to generate the database from the "live" CD, by starting off
with a chroot("/cdrom") *after* opening your log file.  This would give
results as reliable as having the database pre-made on the CD.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder