Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:47:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, dufault@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone keen to help me get a Phillips CDD 521 Recorder working?

Putting a CD-R on a FreeBSD machine is a nice goal, but what is being
done to ensure CD-R's are not starved.  CD-R drives need some type of
guarenteed real-time access.  Big buffers in CD-R help but I've seen
UNIX boxes slow down to a crawl before.  This is why we use the Young Minds
CD-Studio for our releases in an UNIX environment.  It may be expensive
but it produces reliable CD's and doesn't require any kernel mods since it
emulates a tape drive and a CDROM for testing.

Now if someones does this for FreeBSD I'd be interested, however, I don't have
access to any spare drives so I wouldn't be of much help.  Of course with
prices falling on 2X CD-R drives ...

Doug A.