Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:03:41 +1030
From:      Greg Hurrell <greg@hurrell.cc>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG

Sorry to say it, but due to the high volume of spam I am receiving on
this list I am unsubscribing.

The policy of allowing non-subscribers to post (which applies to the
majority of FreeBSD mailing lists) means that those lists now generate
the majority of all my spam traffic.

Many of these spam messages have as their Return-Path
"owner-freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" (etc, depending on the list) and so
this means I can't even block repeat offenders at the SMTP server based
on the Return-Path.

I've made these protests before and have always been told that the
policy is not going to change, but in the year 2003 and with the spam
problem the way it is, I just can't see any justification for allowing
this "accept all-comers" policy to continue. In order to provide people
with the convenience of posting from anywhere at any time, you are also
affording these spammers with the convenience of an efficient,
consequence-free mass-distribution mechanism for their unwanted and
annoying spam.

If people are subscribed to these lists and want to read the replies
their need access to the subscribed email account anyway.

If people are not subscribed and want answers, well perhaps they should
be subscribing too.

Anyway, this is, regretfully, adios (and goodbye to all of my
subscriptions but freebsd-announce for this very reason).

Cheers,
Greg