Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:18:54 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        danlaw@rust.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

> Another problem I see is systems that allow control messages to create
> groups, which is why snicker when I see "Over 26,000 news groups!"  How
> about the number of legitmate groups.  Worthwhile to have around would be a

Hehehe.

I tried explaining that to the owners. Our "free" dedicated link for news
(which may I add is now saturating a 64k ISDN totally 24 hours a day, this
is for news *ACCESS* to our clients from a remote server, not news *FEED*)
has about 8000 groups. Our carriers' news server has the 26,000 ish group
count, but noone believes me when I say most of them are disused /
inactive groups.

Since we ARE being charged 19c a meg, and lots of clients read news, it
makes me wonder if its a conspiracy on our IP providers part to rip us
off.

I'm *NOT* going to get into the ICP traffic from our squid to theirs,
(they want us to peer with their proxy, saving them money .. under 1% hit
rate? *giggle*)

Enough rambling. :)

Adrian