Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 18:23:07 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD in AWS Marketplace

Hi all,

Another small piece of progress in the ongoing FreeBSD/EC2 saga -- I've
managed to get FreeBSD into the curated "Amazon Web Services Marketplace"
for cluster compute and high-I/O instance types.  These run HVM normally
and thus don't need you to pay the "windows tax" which applies to running
FreeBSD on most other instance types.

  https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00AA25MLK

For now it's just 9.0-RELEASE; I didn't want to bother the Amazon folks
with the BETA and RC images, but I'll make sure 9.1-RELEASE also gets into
the AWS Marketplace when it's released.

I'm continuing to nag at EC2 folks about finding a way for FreeBSD to run
on all the other instance types without paying the Windows tax.  I would
not be surprised if seeing more people using the existing FreeBSD options
(either on HPC instances via the Marketplace, or on other instance types
via the images listed on my website) would help to convince Amazon that
this should be a priority. ;-)

--
Colin Percival