Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:04:53 -0500
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Samba, smbsh, smbfs, port w/ FreeBSD3.4

I hope these are "techincal" Ports questions. I tried them in
freebsd-questions as part of a related question, but no one addressed them
there. Hopefully this is the correct list, if not I apologize...

I've just installed FreeBSD 3.4 from my Walnut Creek subscription CDs. I
selected Samba  from the ports collection, and it seemed to install. Thanks
to help from samba and freebsd-questions mailing lists it's mostly working
now...

***The FreeBSD Ports related questions are:

I installed the Samba Port, and the directories are different from the Samba
Documentation, I can't seem to find documentation that explains the layout,
directory structure, for what/where is installed as part of this port. Is
this documentation available, or should it just be obvious? If it's supposed
to be obvious (and isn't to me) what have I missed?

Is there documentation on the Port to tell how it is different from the
standard distribution?

I can't find smbsh, as discussed on www.samba.org and in the samba docs.

At least one of the commands in the default smb.conf file (domain controller
=) causes unrecognized parameter errors if un-commented. Are the
example/default smb.conf files distributed as part of Samba, or just
something thrown in by the person who configured the FreeBSD Samba Port? It
seems strange that the example smb.conf file would have a bad command in it.

Does smbsh even work with FreeBSD?

***FreeBSD/Samba/FS related questions:

How can I get shares working in the other direction for my FreeBSD machine?
I searched freebsd.org for smb, and saw a comment that somebody was taking
over the smbfs project (Sept 99?). Any idea what the status is? I need
Windoz connectivity since that is the bulk of the network. I'd hate to have
to switch to Linux at this point to talk to Windows.

Thanks, Cla.