Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:07:34 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 12 March 1999 at 15:19:41 -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>
> >      Once the plex has been created, you need to use names like
> > "/dev/da1" instead of "/dev/da1c" (the man page is wrong).  Just drop
> > the partition letter and use the name of the disk slice.
>
> This is a little confusing, even to me.  I assume that you're talking
> about the 'read' command, which requires slice names and not partition
> names.  But the bug that did sneak into the man page has been fixed
> again (though it might be on 3.1-RELEASE), and in later versions you
> should use 'start' without any parameters rather than 'read', which
> was a real pain.

     Brad seems to have been bitten by the same "gotcha" as me: we both
seem to have read "http://www.lemis.com/vinum.4.txt" or the equivalent.
This page talks about the incorrect use of:

	vinum_slices="/dev/da1h /dev/da2h /dev/da3h /dev/da4h /dev/da5h"

(The 3-1.RELEASE man page is correct, but I assumed that your page was
more up-to-date.  ;-)

     You are, of course, correct -- I was referring to the read
command (I shouldn't, perhaps, be using compatibility slices -- I'm
using "dangerously dedicated" disks and have gotten into the bad habit
of using compatibility slices for these).

     By, "Just drop the partition letter and use the name of the disk
slice", I did mean that the slice name should be used, and not the
partition name.  For example, for "/dev/da1s1g", which is a partition
name, you drop the partition letter ("g") to form the slice name,
"/dev/da1s1".

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.