Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 02:00:26 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Emeric Maschino <emeric.maschino@jouy.inra.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie 5.0-RELEASE install questions

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:33:25AM +0100, Emeric Maschino wrote:

> - where are the packages located? I get a missing packages/INDEX error
> if I choose a distribution set other than Minimal. Is it normal?

Package builds were only just started at the time of 5.0. It is
expected that they are present in 5.1.

> - how can I tell the loader it is ran from the second hard disk? It
> wrongly assumes that it is ran from fs0: and then can't find the kernel
> if I don't install it on da0s1a. I've tried to write a custom
> /boot/loader.conf with no success (which variables must be set, using

This is a limitation in the loader. It expects that there's only 1
EFI file system or otherwise that the loader is on the first EFI
file system. If you type "show" at the bootloader prompt you'll
see CURRDEV and BOOTDEV. Try setting CURRDEV, although I doubt it
will work. Set it like this:

	set CURRDEV=fs1:

> - at boot time, I must explicitly enter ufs:da1s2a to start FreeBSD. Why
> can't it starts by itself?

Because the kernel is not told about it. Set rootdev in loader.conf.
(see /boot/defaults/loader.conf).

HTH,