Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:17:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beware of UnixWare 7

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Those of you who were at Usenix may have picked up a free copy of a
> UnixWare 7 CD-ROM from SCO.  If so, be careful when installing it.  I
> tried installing it on a machine with two other systems installed.  It
> failed to install (looped trying to install drivers it didn't need).
> When I rebooted, I found that it had overwritten the Master Boot
> Record (which is silly, since it knew there were two other systems on

Greg,

Now that you've recovered I can wax rhetoical (briefly ;-).
I have run UnixWare since day 1 - when Novell bought it from USL.
It had bad kernel code in version 1.1 - panic on every shutdown
when it couldn't flush dirty pages.

SCO cleaned that up but everything that used to be free on UW1.1 is
now activated by a licence key and $$$.  It's approx $795 to turn on
anything (even netscape)...

I run 2.1.2 on a production box - at least for now.  (Moving
to Slackware soon on this box...)  The lamest implementation of
Unix I've ever seen.

Many conf tasks remain non-trivial as compared to BSD or Linux due
to inexpertise on SCO's end...as the red Sytem Admin Handbook once
stated (Neveth, Snyder et al.) SCO Unix* is `perverse'.

An example of clumsiness:  the sendmail.cf file that comes stock with
2.1.2 is for OpenServer hence all paths are wrong.  And, for whatever
reason SCO didn't see fit to build makemap so making a mailertable is
tougher than it should be...on and on...

I got UW 7 in the mail (kind of like America Online).  It makes a
lovely ashtray.  (And you can rest a pint there as well!)

Cheers,
Tom

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                          Phone: 718-354-5528
                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */