Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2017 23:33:38 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Bruce Ferrell <bferrell@baywinds.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openvpn

> On 4 September 2017, at 17:27, Bruce Ferrell <bferrell@baywinds.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Doug,
>=20
> I use a pfsense firewall with an openvpn server installed.  I connect =
from Android, iOS, OS X, Windows and Linux.  The vpn connection use a =
separate subnet from my "normal" subnet and simply routed in.  No port =
forwarding needed that way.  Because the pfsense firewall is the default =
route, all server automatically are able to reach the vpn subnet because =
all non-lan traffic goes there and is then directed as needed.
>=20
> Bruce
>=20
> On 09/04/2017 03:09 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> I have a home LAN with a number of servers on it.  I have one public =
fixed IP address.  I need to be able to access all the servers when away =
from home.  Openvpn appears to be the best approach as there is a client =
available for ios which is what I carry.  There is duplication of port =
usage on multiple servers so just  port routing in the router is not =
viable.
>>=20
>> I have installed openvpn on one server and will setup the port in the =
router to route to it.  However, there are a number of sample =
configuration files provided and I can't figure out which is the best =
one for me to use.  My first thought was server.conf, but then =
tls-office.conf or static-office.conf also look reasonable.

Thanks for the info.  I am making headway on this.  I used the =
server.conf file and after a bit of horsing around with the key file, I =
got a connection to work.  However, there are still some routing issues =
from the client to local machines.  While everything works well with IP =
addresses, DNS is an issue.  Ios is still going to the internet for DNS. =
 I need to be able to tell it to "drop" the internet connection for =
everything (except connectivity) and use the VPN or to use the VPN for =
DNS.  I am using routing, but wonder if bridging might be a better =
approach.

-- Doug