Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 2015 15:32:44 +0200
From:      Ganael Laplanche <ganael.laplanche@corp.ovh.com>
To:        Eric McCorkle <emc2@metricspace.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot loader arguments (was: ZFS support for EFI)

Hi Eric,

I am replying to this -quite old now- post :

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2015-March/047486.html

> More importantly, the EFI loader doesn't seem to make use of its
> command-line arguments at all.  But a ZFS-enabled loader would really
> need the ability to take arguments from boot1 (or grub, or whatever
> else).

where you were suggesting it would be interesting for the EFI loader to mak=
e=20
use of its arguments, which is still not the case.

We've faced a similar problem here, where we needed the EFI loader be able =
to=20
locally override the root-path offered through BOOTP. A quick fix would hav=
e=20
been to hardcode the root-path but instead we chose to pass it through an=20
argument to the loader (which then sets a new environment variable :=20
dhcp.root-path.override).

=46ind attached the two -simple- patches that allow such an operation. I do=
n't=20
know if they can be interesting for you or for upstream inclusion (though t=
hey=20
are probably *not* ready for direct inclusion yet).

Best regards,

=2D-=20
Gana=EBl LAPLANCHE <ganael.laplanche@corp.ovh.com>