Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:21:11 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   permissions problem - users/groups

I'm wondering if someone might be able to help with what seems to be a
weird problem with a permissions denied errors... I have a user named
karen, who belongs to 10 different groups.  Since updating to proftpd pre9
(I believe this is what triggered this change - but I can't be sure), she
seems to be having a problem getting into only one of the areas of the site
that she is included in a group for.

/etc/group	(snippets)
karen:*:6001:
nhl:*:6100:sports,karen,nhl,rangers,redwings,flyers..... (12 more entries
follow - all on one line)
nfl:*:6200:sports,karen,nfl,jaguars,chiefs,patriots.... (4 more entries
follow - all on one line)

# id karen
uid=6001(karen) gid=6001(karen) groups=6001(karen) 6100(nhl) 6200(nfl) (7
more groups follow)

from vipw
karen:password:6001:6001::0:0:Karen Jones:/www/home/htdocs/./:/bin/ftponly

Naturally, the /bin/ftponly is being used to jail her to only this area of
the server. That shell is valid, I have about 100 other users all using the
same one and no-one else seems to be having a problem.

Now, if I ftp in using Karen's id, I can access what seems to be every one
of the group areas of the site except for nhl    If I go into the nfl area,
I can upload files fine, same with others, however, whenever I go into the
nhl area, I get a permission denied error

under /www/home/htdocs, I have the following (snippets)
drwxrwxr-x  37 nfl      nfl        3584 Dec 20 16:46 nfl
drwxrwxr-x  51 nhl      nhl        4096 Dec 17 21:45 nhl

so the permissions appear to be identical on both directories.  I'm pretty
sure it doesn't have anything to do with the number of subdirectories,
because I added karen to another group with 57 subdirectories, and I could
upload a file fine there.  Also, I can add her  to other groups and then
she can get in there fine.  If I take her back out of the group, just as
expected, I get a permission denied error.

I know it can't be a quota problem, because karen can upload that file in
other places...

This is just really weird and I don't know where else to look.  I'm running
2.2.8 in case that matters, along with proftpd pre9.  If anyone has any
ideas, I'd really appreciate any advice / guidance on where else to look -
before I lose all my hair  :)

Jerry