Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 04:20:04 GMT
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/119289: C++ throw/catch segfaults

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/119289; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>,
        kan@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:32:55 -0800

 On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 07:39:30PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
 > Does anyone object to me committing that patch to the vendor
 > branch?

 I'd rather not - unless it actually has been submitted upstream and there
 was some indication the change was tolerable to the GCC folks (or its
 clear they aren't working with us on a solution).

 I do think it needs to get into RELENG_7_0 ASAP, though.  How about
 committing it just to RELENG_7* for now?

 > RCS file: /usr/data/bsd/cvs/fbsd/src/contrib/gcc/gthr-posix.h,v
 ..
 >     we need to play the usual game with weak symbols.  On Solaris 10 and up, a
 > -   working interface is always exposed.  */
 > +   working interface is always exposed.
 > +   On FreeBSD 6 and 7 the libc also exposes a dummy POSIX threads interface,
 > +   similar to what Solaris 2.6 up to 9 does.  FreeBSD >= 700014 even provides
 > +   a pthread_cancel stub in libc, which means the alternate __gthread_active_p
 > +   below can't be used there.  */

 If I may suggest the FSF-style formatting:

     we need to play the usual game with weak symbols.  On Solaris 10 and up, a
 +   working interface is always exposed.  On FreeBSD 6 and later, libc also
 +   exposes a dummy POSIX threads interface, similar to what Solaris 2.6 up
 +   to 9 does.  FreeBSD >= 700014 even provides a pthread_cancel stub in libc,
 +   which means the alternate __gthread_active_p below cannot be used there.  */

 --
 -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)