Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:19:10 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the status of devfs(8)?

Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (Nov 05), Dima Dorfman said:
> > Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com> wrote:
> > > devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error
> >
> > This is telling you that you're trying to modify ruleset 0.  From the
> > man page:
> >
> >      Ruleset number 0 is the default ruleset for all new
> >      mount-points.  It is always empty, cannot be modified or
> >      deleted, and does not show up in the output of showsets.
>
> Then it should return EPERM, EACCESS, EINVAL, or basically anything
> except EIO, imho.

I'm not particularly attached to EIO.  I wanted something different,
though, so when I see posts like this, i know what the problem is.
Perhaps I should document devfs's esoteric meanings for error
numbers--it has quite a few of them.

> I got bit by this as well, and thought /sbin/devfs
> was simply broken or not fully coded until I saw this post.

That one can't modify ruleset 0 is documented copiously in the man
page, and all the examples are preceeded by "devfs ruleset 10" (see
the first sentence in the EXAMPLES section).  Since this doesn't
appear to be enough, perhaps you (or anyone, for that matter) could
suggest a better way to communicate this requirement?

> Or maybe allow ruleset 0 to be modified like any other?  Is there a
> benefit to having an invisible, immutable default ruleset?

phk and I had a long discussion about this, and the conclusion was
that it is indeed useful, sort of like having a NULL pointer is
useful.  I can go through my archives if you're interested in details.