Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:03:11 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow ssh login

Since my latest round of updating, I've noticed that it takes a _long_
time to login to ssh on one of my machines.  Having looked into it,
I've found that there's a DNS lookup problem:

The "privilege separation" process does a chroot to /var/empty and
then tried to do a reverse lookup on the IP address of the incoming
client.  Since there's no /etc/host.conf (or /etc/hosts) within the
chroot tree, it falls back to doing a DNS lookup on d.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa
and this fails because the nameserver is not currently accessible
(it knows where to ask because the PrivSep processes parent has had
a look through resolv.conf before fork()ing).

Since the addresses in question are all private addresses that don't
exist in the DNS (I use /etc/hosts for them all), the DNS lookup isn't
going to return useful information in any case.

Has anyone else bumped into this?  What is the recommended solution?
The two solutions I can think of are:
1) Install /etc/host.conf and /etc/hosts into /var/empty.  This raises
   the difficulty of remembering to keep them up to date.
2) Running a local named that is authoritative for my private addresses.
   I'd prefer not to do this for a variety of reasons.

Anyone got any other solutions?

Peter