Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:22:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@Radio-do.de>
To:        paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT (Ugo Paternostro)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to detect obsolete files after a make world?

> [Well, this applies to -current too, but I post here as I run -stable]
>
> Is there a way to detect obsolete files/shared libs after a make world other
> than manually scanning the directories looking for files that do not match the
> make world date?
>
> Every time a so version number is bumped, you end with an old copy of the
> library in /usr/lib, and every time a program is removed (like lfs some time
> ago, or sgml tools a lot of time ago) you still retain that copy.
>
> Tell me it is possible without "newfs && make reinstall": that's the MircoSoft
> way :-)
>
> What about a very dangerous use of "find / -type f \! -mtime 1 -delete", or
> similar? ;-)

This would for sure clear your /usr/local tree :-)

Btw. there are shared libs under /usr/lib that are there from previous
builds or from binaries linked against older shared libs, so they are
neccessary.

One could traverse the filesystem, take all the executables, do
something like `find / -print |xargs ldd| sort -u` to get all the
libraries in use and remove all others.

Regards
	Frank