Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:16:06 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <ddw@raphe.NSMA.Arizona.EDU>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange Server

Previously:
>> It would appear that SendMail could do what I want [...]
>
>I'm somewhat biaised towards Postfix [...]

How does postfix really compare to the other major MTA's?  (Sendmail, exim,
zmailer, and, my favorite, qmail.)  If I remember correctly, postfix/vmailer
is an update of smail, isn't it?  The guy working on it right now (Weitse) is
one of the Gods of the Internet, having created the tcp wrappers among other
things.  (But then again, the people working on the other packages aren't
slouches either!)

As a side note: sendmail isn't all that bad.  On the Internet, it is used for
more email than all the other MTA's put together.  (In corporate America, it's
quite a different story...)  With the more recent versions configurable with
m4, it is actually quite easy to set up, and there is a new commercial version
available if you need that kind of accountability and support.  If you want
something good on a resume (for the non-corporate world), knowing sendmail is
going to take you further than the others...

>FreeBSD.org's experience with it in place of sendmail is pretty good, Postfix
>is way faster and more secure than sendmail.

Heehee, well, traditionally, almost anything has been faster and more secure
than sendmail.  That has changed and the new versions are quite good though...

>BTW Outlook is not really a good Windows mail reader.

What makes you say that?

-Doug

Doug Wellington
ddw@nsma.arizona.edu
Network and System Administrator
ARL, Division of Neural Systems, Memory and Aging
The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ

I DON'T buy anything from spammers, and I KEEP TRACK OF WHO SPAMS ME.

I put up with ads on the TV because they pay for programming.  When
spammers pay for the Internet, then I'll start putting up with spam.