Date:      10 Oct 2001 02:40:25 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Unhappy Adobe Customer <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> I pos facto.
>
> (Translation: you can't make something illegal after the fact).

Actually, I think "I pos facto" translates to "Terry doesn't know
latin".

The US Constitution's Article I, Section 10 states (from memory) "No
state shall pass any ex post facto law".  The latin expression "ex
post facto" translates rougly into "because of a subsequent fact",
i.e. you can't punish someone for something they did if it wasn't
illegal at the time, even if it became illegal later.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org