Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:17:15 -0600
From:      Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no active SCB for reconnecting target

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>We are getting errors like the following a dozen or so times per day,
>>for several months now (maybe even a year):
>>
>>ahc0:A:13: no active SCB for reconnecting target - issuing BUS DEVICE RESET
>>Mar 15 00:49:26 ring /kernel: SAVED_SCSIID == 0xd7, SAVED_LUN == 0x0,
>>ARG_1 == 0x2a ACCUM = 0x17
>

> I'm looking into any chip errata that might cause this, but the best
> bet is a bogus cable or terminator.  According to your dmesg output,
> there is no ID 13 on the bus.  Nonetheless, occassionally during a
> selection the aic7896 believes that bit 13 is set on the bus.  Very
> wierd.

One more datapoint: I went through the logs for the last week and
counted which bogus ids tried to reconnect:

id    # of bogus reconnects resulting in BDR
--    ---
9     2
12    15
13    91

I.e. the "no active SCB for reconnecting target" was issued twice for ID
9, 15 times for id 12, and 91 times for id 13. There are no devices with
these ids on any of the SCSI busses.

I also found that every one of these errors was generated by ahc0:A,
where da0 and da1 are. It's seem like bits 2 and 3 are getting randomly
changed.

Matt