Date:      Thu, 02 Feb 2023 15:45:38 +0000
From:      jbo@insane.engineer
To:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap, ZFS & ARC

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 at 14:41, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.n=
et> wrote:

>=20
> 02.02.2023 21:28, jbo@insane.engineer wrote:
>=20
> > Hello folks,
> >=20
> > Based on a discussion on the forums not so long ago I tried to figure o=
ut how swap usage on a ZFS system plays together with ARC. However, I could=
 find very little to no information on this which leads me to believe that =
there is some "core concept" I might be oblivious to.
> >=20
> > The main question is basically this: Your system starts to swap out dat=
a from RAM to your swap partition.
> > This swap data on disk ultimately resides somewhere in a ZFS pool.
>=20
>=20
> I prefer not doing this. That is, all my systems have swap partition outs=
ide of ZFS pool.

This isn't really achievable on your average "single disk" desktop systems,=
 right?
Assuming I'm not missing something (which is why I came here to ask), a "re=
gular" or "default" installation through the FreeBSD installer would setup =
a swap partition within the zpool, right?

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?c70BKF1xrExMKWQeTJtDhOqJVqISFp9RjHFwT0XWDh3sTXyi0NMRkVhOyp_YkTXXAV7Dtm4tK4_XsOwSXuZRT39ObYtFpPoe6biv22jMNnM=>