Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:27:58 -0300
From:      H <hm@hm.net.br>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 26 February 2012 17:16:43 H wrote:
>> Erich Dollansky wrote:

>>> there is not the production release here. There are always at
>>> least two.
>>
>> whatever, the question is not the how many, it is the word BETA
>> or PRE change to RELEASE and we should not turn this into some
>> word-fiddling
>>
> it is just logic. 10 is currently ALPHA, 8.3 is currently BETA,
> there might be soon a RC1 and the release.

this is going into the wrong direction and I should hold my peace but
will say my piece

this is about 9.0-RELEASE only

and wishfully about future releases, not beta, rc or pre- -current or
- -stable ...

>> important is maintain the understanding for that word, because
>> there are lot of not_developer_people out
>
> What should developer do after no errors have been reported anymore
> in an RC? I would suggest that they release their stuff.

why do you ask? it is very easy to answer: nothing!

it is release engineering who could establish a little bit more time
between code-freeze and RELEASE

as in practice we can see 2-3 month or so would be something reasonable

>> what seems forgotten is what is here in the second part:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/lessons-learned.html

what developers understand, mean or think does not matter, the _user_
>> should be able to understand and believe in this word RELEASE,
>> what IMO is pretty clear
>>
> Release means that developers either state the errors in the README
> or believe that there are no known errors. It does not mean that
> there are no more errors in there.
>
>> so please do not argument with me or anybody else, it is merely
>> a pretty fair and neutral opinion about RELEASE meaning
>>
>> backed on what is stated on the page above, it seems to be the
>> procedure, which eventually needs revision, because we humans
>> always will fail somewhere
>
> You can do the same as I do. I run currently a 8.3 BETA. You can
> encourage people to do so too to make it easier for the developers
> to spot as many errors as possible before the release.

it is not about you and me

it is about FreeBSD and the meaning, importance and reliability  of
- -RELEASE for all people

the word -RELEASE is what encourage people :)

> Still, FreeBSD has always at least one more release out there which
> was hardened in real life.
>
> If then take into account that odd numbers are known to have a
> higher risk of errors plus the fact that 9.0 was the first release
> of the new branch, I do not see a need to change much to the
> advantage except of putting more load onto the people who actually
> make it happen.
>
> Erich

- --