Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:52:15 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

As Simon Shapiro wrote:

> > 2.1.6 is the latest release.
> > 2.2 is the next release, currently in post-BETA.
> > 3.0 is the head of the development (``3.0-current'')
>
> Thanx.  Iam now doubly aware of these intricacies.  I am also of
> the understanding that all three are actively maintained.  How do

No, 2.1.6 is a release (so it's a fixed mark, vs. a branch that is
ongoing work), and the 2.1.x branch is considered dead.  We had to
concentrate on something.

> bug fixes cross the lines?  Ah.  something to learn...

Bug fixes are being merged from -current into the 2.2 branch.

> > You could hook a few printf's into /sys/scsi/cd.c (inside cd_open())
> > to see which of the ENXIO's hits.  Either the drive claims there's no
> > medium inside, or it fails a READ CAPACITY command.
>
> This sounds like debugging to me... ;-) Who is the maintainer?

I think Søren Schmidt.  However, there are too many weird ATAPI drives
around, so you're the best person to help here.

> > >     a.  When init goes to single user, prompts, asking for a shell.
> > >         You press ENTER and it sits on ``(.???msg - Cannot exactly
> > >         remember) not found''

> > David Greenman has been the only one by now who also reported such a
> > behaviour.
>
> So now there is a confirmation...

The confirmation isn't the biggest problem, but rather _finding_ it. :)

> > Well, that's what the `-a' means: umount everything in fstab.
>
> Ah.  BSD vs. SYSV.  Sorry.  But ``wolud be nice'' if shutdown would
> really shut down the system, and correctly too.  Even Linux
> (Debian) now knows  to do that, finally.

shutdown -h now

--
cheers, J"org