Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 11:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD)
Subject:   new install(1) utility

I've rewritten install(1) to include the following options:

(1)  -S -- Symlink are created instead of moving (copying) the file.

(2)  -t -- Preserve the timestamp of the source file on target file.

(3)  -z -- Compress the file with gzip and retain the `.gz' extension.

(4)  -Z -- Compress the file with gzip and remove the extention.

The symlink feature may be useful for creating symlinks, for example,
from /usr/share/man to point into the source tree.

The timestamp feature may be useful in keeping things (such as includes)
in sync.

(3) allows `install -z -o bin -g bin -m 644 znew.1 /usr/share/man/man1' which
generated /usr/share/man/man1/znew.1.gz

(4) allows people with disk-space-impaired systems to install compressed
binaries.  If you do this, you need to know the RAMifications.

I also updated the error handling of the previous install.  All previous
options are supported.  If there is any interest in this work, I'll
put the source up for FTP.

--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |