Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 09:12:06 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <root@shockwave.com>
To:        Andras Olah <olah@cs.utwente.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current TCP interoperability issues

  From: Andras Olah <olah@cs.utwente.nl>
  On Fri, 29 Dec 1995 19:12:07 PST, Paul Traina wrote:
  > I'm having problems with tcp connections that contain data with SYN packets
>>.
  > It seems like turning off the TCP extensions is not sufficient.

  It would be nice if you could send a tcpdump of how these connections
  fail.  On the other hand, the handling of the TCP extension bits could
  be more conservative in our TCP implementation.  Right now, we send data
  on the SYN segment even if rfc1644=0, only the CC option is turned off.
  In defense of the current mechanism, however, note that this is
  perfectly valid TCP behavior.

  Andras

Certainly:

09:10:27.483614 precipice.1093 > AMPRnet-Gateway.finger: SFP 3642470994:3642470996(2) win 16384 <mss 1460> (DF) (ttl 64, id 4774)

No response.  I've actually gdb'ed the remote host's tcp stack (it's not
UCB based) and found (but not fixed) the two bugs causing it to fail there.
The problem is that there are a ton of broken hosts out there, and we really
could use a sysctl variable to disable this functionality.