Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 14:19:03 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        bbrummer@pop.solar.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cat 'file' > /dev/ulpt0 (not working)

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 06:52:42PM +0000, bbrummer@pop.solar.com.br wrote:
> Doing: cat 'file' > /dev/ulpt0

Well, that only works when your printer is smart enough to handle
raw text. Does it work in DOS or something when you press PrntScrn and
hooked it up on the parallel port?

> only makes some noises in my EPSON 780 USB printer.
> Consequently 'lpr' doesn't work either.
>
> Are there any unusual file, directory or device permisions to be
> setted ??

You should install something like apsfilter/ghostscript from the ports.
Ghostscript will convert everything you'll print to epson specific
commands. That should always work. Check the docs that come with
those packages for a detailed description on how to set things up.
(I thought there was also a section in the handbook explaining this
step by step .. try this link: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing-advanced.html)

> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Bernardo

Gr,