Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:57:08 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"]

At 20:30 30-03-2000 -0500, Christopher S. Weimann wrote:
>They used the improved accuracy and range to target British officers
>before they were in muskerange which made the rifle a pretty effective
>terror weapon.  It was however much slower to load which made the
>rifleman very vulnerable so they were kept behind the normal troops.

I believe, if my information is correct, their greatest advantage was
tactical. The British army used the traditional war tactic of having
soldiers in a single file and expected their opponents to do the same.

But the revolutionaries have learned from the Indians to move around freely
rather than in a rigid formation. That was much more flexible.

Secondly, the British wore red coats which made them visible from a long
distance. The revolutionaries did not wear fancy uniforms, just plain dark
civilians clothes which made them less visible and harder to aim at.

Finally. let's not forget the psychological advantage. The revolutionaries
were figthing for their own freedom and independence, the British were
fighting because their officers told them to fight.

Adam
"I think, therefore I am."
                    - Seventeenth Century Philosophy

"I publish what I think, therefore I have."
                    - Twenty-First Century Action

Details at http://www.OnlinePublisher.net/