Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 00:46:01 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP protocol questions (non-passive mode)

> Can anyone explain to me the FTP 'Data' channel protocol?
>
> As I understand it, the client creates a socket, and the server binds to
> it, and then the 'DATA' is sent to it.  How does the server know which
> port to bind on the client?  Is there something obvious I don't
> understand as to why they couldn't use the original 'channel'?
>
> Thanks for any help!

The client, after creating a listening socket, sends a "PORT" command
describing the IP & port that the server should bind to.

It's done this way because it's easier.  Ftp was designed way before
things like firewalls made it a pain in the ass.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;