Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:33:16 +0200
From:      "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw@withagen.nl>
To:        "Eirik Oeverby" <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anybody using net-snmp on AMD64 or other 64bit platforms??

> Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> > Reason I ask, is that it crashes with me at all kinds of places...
> >
> > I've started looking at the warnings from a regular make.
> > And in the process of tryin to fix those there are a lot of places where
> > typeconversions are really messed up.
> >
> > int, size_t, I32, function addresses and pointers are all intermixed.
> > And this of course will create all kinds unwanted effects....
> >
> > Are there any suggestions as to enhance portability this way...
> >
> > eg. what kind of generic pointer type would one use to make shure
> > that pointers are the correct size on both architectures....
> >
> > Or as a side questions:
> >     Are there other snmp-daemons that run on 64bit platforms??
>
> net-snmp won't compile here:
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/mach/CORE/libperl.a(perl.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/mach/CORE/libperl.a: could not read symbols:
> Bad value
> *** Error code 1

This looks like you do not have the most recent set of ports....
I can get mine to compile and link. -fPIC -DPIC is on just about every line.

> If I try net-snmp4, it compiles, but the daemon dies whenever it's
> queried (by mrtg, for example).

That was what the same problem I started with with net-snmp.....

Now I'm as far that I can run a snmpwalk against it, but not all the answers
make sense. eg. the connection table gives very strange addresses and very
strange ports.

--WjW