Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:12:36 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Matt Sealey <matt@genesi-usa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vim7 broken or not broken or?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:45:42AM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> I got this version from ports the day it hit the tree, an upgrade from
> vim6 (using the "vim" port directory). How come if it doesn't compile
> on 4.X, I am running it now, compiled from the port?

Probably because you are not using the latest toolchain, such as the
gmake import, and other things.  It does not install/deinstall on the
build cluster as a package.

> A bunch of other stuff I have compiled is marked as broken too and no
> major updates were posted. They just get marked as broken for 4.X or
> "does not compile at all".

See below.

> Does anyone actually check if these things really do work or are they
> just being marked to close down the ports bug list as fast as possible?

After spending about 100 hours so far on package-building problems so
far this month, I can assure you most emphatically that work is done to
check whether or not these things build on the ports building cluster.

The cluster environment attempts to install each port from scratch,
including its dependencies as packages.  This will catch many marginal
cases that installing the port on a fully- (or nearly fully-) populated
system will not catch.

mcl