Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Mauricio Calderon <mcalder@205.218.236.10>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Hardware group <hardware@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: AMD 586 runs FreeBSD just FINE

Hi there;

trimmed the individuals out because they will see it on hackers anyway..

probably not really appropriate to post questions like this to
hackers, supposed to go to questions. i may be reinforcing a bad trait,
but anyway!

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Mauricio Calderon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At present I have a Hard disk with FreeBSD on a 486/DX266. I want to
> configure it in a machine 386/33, but when I reboot the system report me
> incompatibility (and show me some option but never can use those)and reboot
> each 10 seconds.
>
> Can I use the disk on the 386/33 machine?

	The problem is not going to be with the disk per se. The x86
architecture is pretty cpu insensitive by design. It should work, provided
that the 386 has a non-funky ( ie not one of those elaborate caching,
expensive add on ) ide controller. If u are using the controller built
into the board ( assuming it has one, some do, some dont, i own both ),
then it should be just fine.

	I am assuming that what you did was simply yank the disk with
freebsd on it out of one machine and plop it in another, right?

	If so, did u make a custom kernel or are u still using a generic
kernel?

	The first thing that came to my mind when i read your post was
that you had a 386 without the companion 387 math-co to go with it, and
your kernel has been recompiled with the math emulation removed (
remember, a 486 is simply a 386 and a 387 on the same chip, with a shared
8k cache included ).

cant really help you beyond that. I would suggest that if you are just
using the generic kernel, then i dont really have any other ideas beyond
reinstalling from scratch.

	I also submit that if the dang thing has no math-coprocessor u
should go get one. Go to a used computer store, they should be cheap
there. It will make life much simpler. and faster. An 4.77 mhz 8088 with
an 8087 does the same math 4 times faster then a 12 mhz 80286 with out
one!

	And if u are planning to run X on this guy, you *will* be doing
math every time a window is created or resized.

	If u have dos-5 or greater on the machine, try running MSD and see
what it tells you the machine has on it.

	if u see the chip, but msd sez u have none, then there is an
enabling jumper on the board that has not been set.

much luck!

> Rgds,
>
> Mauricio Calderon
>
> At 07:02 AM 10/14/96 -0400, Matthew A. Gessner wrote:
> >Roddie Hasan wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Matt,

> >> I'm thinking of throwing one of those boards in my machine.  (I currently
> >> have a DX266 also).  What did you set your cpu type to in the kernel
> >> settings?  I would assume 486, but I want to make sure.
> >>
> >> Ciao, Roddie
> >
> >I didn't change A THING!  I just stuck the new CPU in the socket and
> >rebooted.  Pretty awesome.
> >
> >--
> >Matthew Gessner, Computer Scientist, <mgessner@aristar.com>
> >Aristar, Inc.
> >302 N. Cleveland-Massillon Rd.
> >Akron, OH 44333
> >Voice (330) 668-2267, Fax (330) 668-2961

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life