Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 12:59:32 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Atipa wrote:

> But what makes this a monopoly? We all have the ability to choose
> products, and noone is taking that away.

it's as if an oil company with a large market share licensed a type of
fuel tank filler that only works with their pumps to all the major car
manufacturers, and only sold fuel to car owners that have one. result:
maybe not quite a monopoly, but not exactly healthy competition...

> As I stated in other e-mails, we are missing the big picture. We need
> to focus on promoting emerging technologies, instead of stunting
> existing ones. Then we can all be winners. They should be investigating
> MS's poisoning of Java instead of their integrated browser.

or even just that new computers don't come with a separate partition to
install another OS onto without disrupting the primary one...