Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:38:03 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] break out 'statfoo' from wlanstats/athstats into a shared library

On 6 April 2012 00:46, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> * (npestats? What's npe?)
>
> Ethernet driver, check the xscale port.

Hm, whyw asn't that ever folded into -HEAD?

>> * migrate wlanstats out from tools into the base system.
>>
>> Does anyone have any particular reason not to do this?
>
> What I'd always wanted to see is wlanstats' -i being extended to
> recognize not just wlanN, as in
>
> wlanstats -i wlan0 (teh default)
> wlanstats -i wlan1
> wlanstats -i ath0
> wlanstats -i mwl0

The trouble is finding a representation of the ioctl statistics that
is portable enough to use like this.

ath0/mwl0 don't export the same statistics by any means; and the
athstats tool uses a couple of ioctl APIs (one for HAL, one for ath)
to fetch statistics.

FWIW, I'm about to extend the athstats tool and HAL diagnostic API to
include more detailed interrupt statistics. This will help when
diagnosing mis-behaving bus hardware.

Adrian