Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 14:08:39 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tecmar NS8

> Does anyone have any experience with the Tecmar NS8 Travan streamer
> (or other SCSI Travan streamers)? How reliable is it, and can it
> really sustain a transfer rate of 1.2 MBps?

Reliability seems okay so far, but it's a bit early to tell - I've
only had mine for a couple of weeks, and only used it for one full
backup. With firmware version 6.11 (available from the Tecmar Web
site) you can even get it to do WRITE FILEMARKS.

As for a sustained transfer rate of 1.2 Mbyte/s - forget it. The
raw (uncompressed) max data rate of this drive is 600 kbyte/s. The
1.2 Mbyte/s figure assumes 2:1 compression, which is rather doubtful
for real-life data on a sustained basis.

I've had one filesystem reach 1 Mbyte/s though (as reported by dump).