Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:48:04 +0200
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI error message

On Jun 06 2001, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> there were some questions a while ago concerning the freebsd vs linux
> scenario where a freebsd fails with SCB timeouts while a linux runs
> along with apparently no problems at all. the quick answer for this
> particular behaviour in freebsd is, that the io subsystem is designed to
> put more load onto the scsi devices than the implementation of other
> os'es io subsystems. so, basically, what happens is, that you only see
> the timeouts under freebsd, of course, since it arbits the scsi bus more
> often, and with more data in the same period of time compared to other
> implementations.

Yes, this might well be the problem. What bothers me is that these
errors only appeared when the box had been _really_ idle for hours.

> terminate correctly, symmetric terminators, active, for u160. use good
> cables, no vobis crap ;-)

Vobis? Hey! (Note: Vobis is a chain of computer shops in Germany
notorious for selling *really* crappy HW for about 15 years now)

> i use amphenol cables for external links and
> gr-kabel (german distributor) for internal wiring. this solved most of
> my scsi problems with u160.

Well, I hope I never have to see these problems again, cross fingers.

Thank you for your response and
regards from the rainy rhinelands,
Thomas Seck