Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 19:02:38 -0600
From:      "Mark Rollings" <darkstar@telcentral.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Signal 11 on custom build

Greetings.

	I am the system administrator for an ISP using a FreeBSD box as platform
for a IRC server.  The only thing that runs on this machine is the ircd.
We've had the system up and running for about 3-4 weeks using the GENERIC
kernel.  Yesterday, I decided it was time to compile a custom kernel that
only probes and processes the devices we have on our machine.   Our config
is rather simple.

	I have an Adaptec 2940UW host adapter
		it drives a 1.6g Fujitsu scsi drive
		and a NEC CDRom.

	The cdrom has not been used ever, but is part of the system,  just in
case.

	It also has an onboard floppy controller.  fd0

	A pentium MB with a 100Mhz processor.

	And, finally,  an NE2000 compatible NIC

My editing of the config was fairly easy, and to be sure I closely
understood the config itself, I followed the instructional information from
the website and FreeBSD handbook.   The editing and compilation went very
smoothly, and upon reboot, the system booted with no device conflicts, and
the included devices supported appropriately.

Once the system had come up and run for about 20 minutes,  I started the
ircd deamon.   The system performed wonderfully from that point on for
about a total of 5-6 hours.  Then, out of nowhere,  the kernel reported a
signal 11 and the ircd exited.  I know this is a bounding error, and at
first I didn't know what I should have done.  Then I realized it may help
to recompile the ircd, so today I did just that.  The system run with 64meg
of RAM, and with an iostat... is basically asleep with the ircd running.

After the ircd rebuild,  the system continued to run normally for about
another 4-5 hours.  Then, the sig 11 was reported again from the kernel.

As of this writing,  I have diverted back to the GENERIC kernel.  Does
anyone have any ideas as to why such an error would have occured, or might
have I commented out a device that might have been needed?  I would be
interested to see what someone might be able to tell me.

Mark Rollings
TelCentral Internet
IRC Administrator  irc.telcentral.com
BeyondIrc.Net Network Administrative Committee
darkstar@telcentral.com