Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:46:51 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

------------829224D10485E72

On 2005-01-29 at 21:24:25 Anton Berezin wrote:

> Unless I hear too many cries "don't do that" (with justification), I
> plan to not create any perl symlinks in /usr/bin in the forthcoming
> upgrade of both lang/perl5.8 (to 5.8.6) and lang/perl5 (to 5.6.2).  This
> will ONLY be true for FreeBSD 5.X and FreeBSD CURRENT;  the existing
> pollution of /usr/bin will still be performed for older versions of
> FreeBSD, if requested via use.perl script.

What purpose does this serve?  To keep the base system clean?  I'm not
convinced that having just a few (2?) symlinks in /usr/bin will
"pollute" the base system, but it does save having to modify
potentially thousands of scripts.  Isn't the latter *much* more
expensive?

------------829224D10485E72

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFB/BJbsF6jCi4glqMRAkOfAKCkKO5PpiNz+XgNRHBF7oJK5TRvmQCdH7V9
0TMFw5N1cQBebzcUwfbWxcA=
=dlDR
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

------------829224D10485E72--