Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:16:42 -0700
From:      Gareth Hughes <gareth@nvidia.com>
To:        'Julian Elischer' <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Andy Ritger <ARitger@nvidia.com>
Subject:   RE: NVIDIA and TLS

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> can wine use OpenGL?
>
> Doesn't look like a clash to me.  :-)

I don't understand your point here...

> what DOES make sense however is to support the __thread
> concept, in a way that is efficient as it is not specific to one
> rather esoteric application. I for one have no objection to making
> sweeping changes if it looks as if __thread is going to solve problems
> for large numbers of applications.
> (though they may not be posix complient applications, it probably makes
> sense to support it if there are enough of them breaking the same
> rules.)

Currently, given the performance requirements of OpenGL, our drivers
are one of the first users of the new ELF TLS implementation on Linux,
outside of libc itself.  Given the fact that this is a general solution
to a common problem, I strongly urge you to take it into consideration
when working on your threading libraries.  There are only going to be
more users of __thread variables as time goes on -- you can imagine
that many multithreaded user-space server applications will start using
this soon, instead of the clunky pthread TLS interface.

--
Gareth Hughes (gareth@nvidia.com)
OpenGL Developer, NVIDIA Corporation