Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:56:38 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downed IP addresses/redundancy

* Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net> [000128 15:04] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > You have multiple customers on two boxes, each customer gets 2
> > IP address and you lolad balance between the two.
>
> Ah!  I see your difficulty.  I was thinking about availability; you
> were thinking about load balancing.
>
> > Some customers may wish to run thier own sql servers, they should
> > only bind to the IP address on each machine that they own.
> >
> > The customer can't fail over properly because even when the alias
> > for the box that dies comes up, thier daemon won't get requests on
> > the added IP.
>
> You have worse trouble than that.  If you are running an order/entry
> database, you don't want the service to fail over to the second
> machine without remote synchronization of the data.  Otherwise, you
> end up with two databases that have entries that compete for the same
> serial numbers.  No one likes hand merging orders.  :-)  This also
> makes it important that the database only ever run on one machine at
> a time.  You would want to start the database on the machine that
> holds the service net address, right after you do the ifconfig to
> bring up that address on the secondary's interface.
>
> Can you give me some more complete scenarios?  I am interested in
> your problem.

Consider phk's Jail code, giving each user a true virtual server of
some sort, there's no way for it suddenly bind to another specific
IP address without a restart.

I think this issue should be addressed by the application designers
as well, you _should_ be able to tell... let's say bind to grab
another interface at runtime.  maybe ndc allows this i'll have to
look.

-Alfred