Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:47:41 +0200
From:      Gustau Perez <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        hackers-list freebsd <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, David Schultz <das@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TeXLive merge into FreeBSD ports tree - FreeBSD project idea

Enviat des del meu iTotxo (disculpeu la brevetat)
Sent from my iBrick (excuse me for the brief message)

>=20
>=20
> Quite a few conflicts and changes in dependencies are needed for TeXLive. T=
eXLive does not just replace teTeX, but also ports like freetype-tools, t1ut=
ils, jadetex, etc. I have patches for all ports I use, which has been workin=
g for me for half a year. If TeXLive and teTeX were supposed to exist in por=
ts in parallel for some time, something like bsd.tex.mk would be needed with=
 a generic way to specify tex related dependencies. Maybe this would be usef=
ul for the transition period, since we probably would not want texlive-schem=
e-tetex to replace all teTeX dependencies, but many people disagree that hav=
ing both TeX at the same time in ports would be a good idea.
>=20
> There are ports that I could not get to build with TeXLive at all: misc/fr=
eebsd-doc-* There are too many error messages I do not understand. Someone w=
ith a lot more insight will have to look at these, before TeXLive can replac=
e teTeX in ports. I have posted to texlive-freebsd@googlegroups.com about th=
is, but there were no answers.
>=20
> I guess the biggest problem for people to put more effort into fixing TeXL=
ive in FreeBSD ports is the huge disagreement about how a final solution sho=
uld look like.
>=20
> OT: FreeBSD might be more behind than others, but others have trouble with=
 TeXLive in their native packaging system, too: Nothing never than TeXLive 2=
009 made it into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>=20
> Cheers,
> Jan Henrik

 One (among others) problems is the TL nanescheme. They don't release packag=
es with version number. Because of that maintaining the distinfo of thousand=
s of packages is quite difficult.

  Then I'd vote for keeping an old version of the TL tarballs (like ubuntu d=
oes) in the FreeBSD FTP distfiles dir and proceed with fixing the ports need=
ing teTeX. =20

  I did for gnome2 sometime ago and wasn't that for most of the gnome2 packa=
ges. I would like to help if this patch is taken.

 =20