Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:30:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert J. Rutter" <rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh!

>What are the thoughts on breaking this stuff out of mail lists and into
>news groups?  (At least there I can use kill files to eliminate the noise.)
> Or, must I suffer this fate?  Any suggestions on how to manage this much
>email?  Jordan, how do you deal with all this traffic?
>
>Thanks for letting me make some noise about the noise.
>
>Darren

I use procmail and Cnews to post digests and mailing lists to local
newsgroups.  These are both from the 2.1R CDROM.  I then read them
with trn (3.6).  Articles with related subject lines are automagically
threaded by trn, so unwanted threads can be spotted easily and
killed (or put in a kill file).  Cnews expires messages depending
on how long I want to keep a particular group available for reference.

Hope this helps.  This method is a little slow and is tedious to
set up but it sure beats wading through the 1000+ messages per week
I would otherwise have in my mailbox.

Wrt to going to newsgroups; you will see the useful content/noise
ratio drop by an order of magnitude (if other mailing lists that have
done the same are any indication).  Please don't even consider it.