Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:46:55 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can't disklabel a disk slice.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Gary Algier wrote:
> > I have been struggling with disklabel in an attempt to disklabel
> > a new slice.

I am trying to work with only a "slice".  Or as the tutorial would call
it "Compatibility Mode".  Note that there is no section "Making
Compatibility Mode Disks Using the Command Line".  One can do "disklabel
-e slice-name", but one can't get "disklabel -Brw slice-name auto".  There
should be no need to know a "disk type" for a slice.  It should be able
to determine the size just as well on a sliced (Compabilty Mode) disk as
for a full (Dedicated Mode) disk.

> This is a problem, the system can't identify the disk type.  What's the
> dmesg output for your disks?

ahc0:A:5: refuses synchronous negotiation. Using asynchronous transfers
(ahc0:5:0): "IOMEGA ZIP 100 J.03" type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd1(ahc0:5:0): Direct-Access
sd1(ahc0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using fictitious geometry
96MB (196608 512 byte sectors)

> Also see http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/ for info.
That's how I realized that sysinstall can do it, but disklabel can't.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850