Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 95 22:38:23 +0300
From:      vak@cronyx.ru
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (IDE) CDROM support will NOT be in FreeBSD 2.1!

Hi Jordan,

>   Sorry folks, but after considerable time and trouble invested in
>   producing the extra IDE CDROM boot floppy as a test, I've received far
>   too few success reports with it to consider it for 2.1.

Last two days I tried to solve the problems with the IDE CDROM driver,
and today I put the patches for -current to
ftp.freebsd.org:/FreeBSD/incoming/wcd-cur-pch.tgz.

The main problem was with slave alone configuration...
Most drives come configured as slaves, and the people
just plugs them to the secondary controller.
>From the point of ATAPI specs this is an incorrect configuration,
but it works under MS-DOS and Windows 95...

This was the main reason of the atapi.flp failure.

There were some other minor bugs, partially with Hitachi drives.

>   Likewise, the IDE CDROM stuff is a real wart on the installation and
>   basically a waste of an extra kernel in the bindist for everyone.  In
>   the name of simplicity, I will be removing the hacks I put into
>   release/Makefile and release/sysinstall to support it.

I agree that it is too late and too hard to fit it into 2.1 distribution,
but what it your opinion about making an atapi.flp yet one time?

It would serve if not as an installation tool, but at least
for testing the driver...

And... Would you please put the patches into the -current source tree?

A lot of thanks for atapi.flp,
Serge

P.S. I'd like to have both atapi and wcd drivers loadable in the system,
but there is no standard place in /etc/rc for loading the drivers.
Probably, it makes sense to add an option "ATAPI_STATIC"
to the GENERIC as a temporary solution...
---
Serge Vakulenko                 <vak@cronyx.msk.su>
Cronyx Ltd., Moscow             Unix consulting and custom programming
phone: +7 (095) 939-23-23       FreeBSD support
fax:   +7 (095) 939-03-00       Relcom network development