Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:54:24 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        "Michael B. Eichorn" <ike@michaeleichorn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions  <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: replace uname -a informational string

--Sig_/Y3FBaL+sGqHANM.blPdht2M

Am Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:45:25 -0400
"Michael B. Eichorn" <ike@michaeleichorn.com> schrieb:

First of all: Thank you very much for your concerns and answers.

> On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 09:08 +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > For security purposes, I need to replace the informations given by
> > "uname -a"
> > to hode the kernel build system, name et cetera. =20
>=20
> I presume you intendend 'hide' here?
>=20
> If you want to scrub a binaries of _all_ information about the building
> system this is a problem Debian is actively working on called
> 'reproducible builds' but is not possible today.
>=20
> https://reproducible.debian.net
>=20
> If you want to hide the hostname, why not just build with a different
> hostname set?

Because it is not only the hostname, uname reveals the target host, date an=
d OS version.

In our case, the image ist built on a dedicated host for a security appliab=
ce based on
NanoBSD and I'd like to hide the OS type, the OS name, the build box' name =
and the build
date.=20