Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:18:58 -0700
From:      Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE: how do *you* handle it?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> wrot=
e:
> Yes, it's kind of crazy what's going on with Sourceforge these days.
> Used to be that the URL for a given project's file(s) was a pretty
> straightforward, standard affair, with the URL invariably ending with
> the name of the file. =A0Now they're using all these "download" links
> instead, with redirects automatically being invoked, as well as
> unexpectedly inconsistent elements within the URL. =A0I'm surprised there
> haven't been a lot of reports already of unfetchable distfiles and/or
> broken links in ports' Makefiles.
>
> I had to step back from it for a while, as after numerous attempts to
> find a clean and simple way to handle the new URL scheme, I got
> dizzy. =A0:-) =A0Maybe I'll get back to it sometime today. =A0It may turn=
 out
> that there is, in fact, no general, one-size-fits-all solution for this.
>
> I don't know. =A0Isn't anyone else (ports maintainers in particular)
> running into any trouble with this?

Download it in your browser so that you can see the real url after all
the redirect business is done:

http://superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/scidvspc/source/scid_vs_pc-4.=
5.tgz

Now you can figure out the SF/whatever expansion with trial and error.

I think they trying to discourage what we are doing - direct linking
to specific mirrors and bypassing the load balancer. Right now all
ports hit Heanet first (unless the user has set RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES
or another override).

--=20
Rob Farmer