Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:38:35 +0200
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   unversioned shared libraries vs. ldconfig

One of my ports (graphics/dia) is not using shared library
versioning (-avoid-version switch to libtool) i.e.
libraries are installed like that:

lib/dia/libcgm_filter.so
lib/dia/libchronogram_objects.so
lib/dia/libcustom_objects.so
lib/dia/libdxf_filter.so
lib/dia/liber_objects.so
lib/dia/libflowchart_objects.so
lib/dia/libfs_objects.so
lib/dia/libgrafcet_objects.so
lib/dia/libnetwork_objects.so
lib/dia/libpstricks_filter.so
lib/dia/libsadt_objects.so
lib/dia/libstandard_objects.so
lib/dia/libsybase_objects.so
lib/dia/libuml_objects.so

Above are of course only for internal use of the
particular application version, so there is no "shared
library API version" problem.

However, when checking PLIST, I usually PREFIX the port
onto something like "/tmp/port" and test ldconfig(1)
behaviour.

ldconfig(1) is unable to see them, because it looks for ".so."
filename fragment when scanning directories:

    286                 /* Find ".so." in name */
    287                 for (cp = name + n - 4; cp > name; --cp) {
    288                         if (cp[0] == '.' &&
    289                             cp[1] == 's' &&
    290                             cp[2] == 'o' &&
    291                             cp[3] == '.')
    292                                 break;
    293                 }

When I attempt to launch dia from the temporary directory
it dies saying it's unable to find these librares.
{Somehow dia compiled with PREFIX unset
is ok - currently I am checking if it's not hardcoding
the "/usr/X11R6" prefix, thus violating $PREFIX rule}.

1. Is it necessary to add such libraries to the hints file?
   And, am I supposed to add /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dia.sh file like
  "modula-3-lib-3.6" port does?

2. If so, should I patch Makefiles to create fake ".0"
   version numbers?

3. Should ldconfig(1) behaviour be changed?

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>