Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:32:09 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
Cc:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FFS questions

> I am reading the source code in fs.h and the parameter fs_cpc confuses me.
>
> The comment says it is the number of cylinders per *cycle* in position
> table.  What does the "cycle" mean?

It's the size of the rotational offset table.  Starting from position 0
on the disk, there are N cycles of fastest-next-block locations as you
move across the disk.  You only need to store one cycle in the offset
table.

The position table and all the optimisations related to second-guessing
the behaviour of the disk are now pessimisations in most cases, and
should be eliminated entirely.  Doing this is quite a job of work, and
at the moment we simply short-circuit them.