Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:53:08 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        gdef@polychrome.durny.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RPC opens ports on all aliases

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 06:29:27PM +0200, gdef@polychrome.durny.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any possibility to make RPC services to open tcp ports only on
> specified IP adres? I modified portmap source to open TCP port 111 only
> on given IP. But services eg nfs still open ports on all ip.
>
> Any solution?

Yes; provide the necessary command-line options to the various servers.
For example, the nfsd(8) manual page documents a -h option, which
specifies an IP address to bind to.  The portmap(8) manual page also
documents an -h option.

You can pass command-line options to the servers on startup by
adding the corresponding variable definitions in your /etc/rc.conf file.
You can see all the available variables by either reading the rc.conf(5)
manual page, or looking through the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file.

DO NOT modify the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file!  Simply reassign
the variables you need in /etc/rc.conf.

For portmap(8) and nfsd(8), the appropriate variables are
portmap_flags and nfs_server_flags.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.