Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:31:16 +0100
From:      Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was  FreeBSD?

>Hmmm.... If your horse produces exhaust, it probably needs tuning. ;-)

Which is what I believe he's been trying to do on this list, so far.

>This is good to know! I hadn't seen any such information before.

I can't quite recall seeing it explicitly stated, but I believe I've seen
multiple postings that imply such a thing. Also, my memory may be
defective, so a posting may have slipped my mind :)

>I still think that's so. When you give away freebies, you always want
>to put your best foot forward! If you hand someone something as a sample
>with NO WARNING that it could compromise their data and/or the security
>of their enterprise, you are NOT going to produce a positive result. If
>ONE HACKER gets in, sets up a packet sniffer, and causes a high-profile
>security breach at a major corporation, it'll do five figures worth of
>HARM to FreeBSD's reputation.

Better to take a slap to the face and get back in there, rather than to
slide into oblivion. In fact, they might get a first-hand chance at seeing
how FreeBSD handles bug reports, and how quickly such things are fixed.
Ever think about what impact -that- might have? They might realize that we
-fix- the problems asap. We need PR.

>I think it's important to be careful where one ruminates, lest one
>produce, er, undesirable exhaust material. ;-)

Always a good idea. However, Jordan does recieve little gratitude for his
actions, it seems to me, and quite a lot of critizism. People are generally
better at pointing out what should be done differently than they are at
pointing out what's being done right..

You're doing a great job, jordy. The effort *is* worth it.

---
Marius Bendiksen, IT-Trainee, ScanCall AS <marius@scancall.no>