Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marjory <jolicom@globalserve.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need info?

Most of this information is available on the FreeBSD webiste:
http://www.freebsd.org.

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Marjory wrote:

> I would like to know if freeBSD:
> - support multi boot (I have win95 an NT)

Yes

> - supports linux binaries ? how well? (i.e. could I run Blender , wine)

Yes, most apps work fine.  I know Blender works, and you can compile Wine
natively.

> - does it emulate windows?

We have a WINE port.  Whether it works or not is anyone's guess.

> - what exacly are ports?

Ports are instructions on how to build programs for FreeBSD.  The port
will take care of fetching, patching, building, and installing the program
for you.  Very slick.

> - someone gave me freeBSD 2.2.6 should I upgrade.

It's not strictly necessary but not a bad idea to go up to 2.2.8.

> -what are your X servers

XFree86 ships with the system, and you can purchase Xi Graphics'
AcceleratedX or MetroX.

> do you support KDE?

Yes.

> - if I program under freeBSD will it be portable? how so?

More or less. GNU autoconf picks up most of the nuances.

> Many questions! but one more:
> I can't seem to configure my partitions under your installer program
> where can I get help.

Press <F1>.

Doug White